Asian Ministries is a mission program of American Baptist Home Mission Societies (ABHMS), American Baptist Churches USA (ABCUSA). At present, more than 130 Asian-American Baptist churches, congregations and fellowship groups exist within ABCUSA, with another 300 in various Burma Diaspora AMO-affiliated churches. These groups are comprised of immigrant generation Asian-Americans and their descendants, which include Japanese, Filipinos, Chinese, Koreans, Indians, Burmese, Chins, Karens, Kachins, Mienh, Vietnamese, Thais, Laotians, Indonesians and Cambodians. More than 28 different languages and dialects are spoken, which makes Asian Ministries one of the most culturally rich and ethnically diverse groups within our denomination.
We are strengthening Asian Ministries’ mission and ministry, while responding to ABHMS’ mission goals by providing:
- pastoral and lay leadership development,
- church planting and transformation,
- evangelism and discipleship,
- recruitment and placement of professional church leadership,
- resource development,
- scholarships for theological and higher education,
- sensitization for Asian-American concerns,
- bridge-building and networking among language groups,
- interaction and cultivation of relationships with Intercultural Ministries,
- support for Asian women in ministry and
- partnership with the Alliance of Asian American Baptist Churches (previously the Asian Caucus).
For additional information about ABHMS’ Asian Ministries, contact Rev. Michele Turek.
Asian Ministries Leader Training
ABHMS will be offering a mental health series in early 2024, with exciting initiatives focusing on AAPI Young Adults and New & Old Immigrant Church mutual learning exchange in development. Though the primary target population is Asian and Burmese churches and communities, the training is open to the public for greater interaction and mutual learning. Be on the lookout for more details.