ABHMS scholarships for students
The 2023-2024 ABHMS scholarship application window has officially closed. The 2024-2025 academic year link to our scholarship request form will be available on January 15, 2024.
- Scholarship amounts vary and are paid directly to the school for credit toward the recipient’s tuition.
- As an inaugural year, ABHMS will award scholarships in the range of $500-$1,000 for part-time students and students attending community college, as resources are available for the 2023-2024 academic year.
- Provided they maintain eligibility requirements, recipients may receive scholarship funds for up to 6 years (consecutive or non-consecutive), regardless of enrollment status (part-time or full-time) for any one course of study.
- Do not use previous links to apply, as our platform for processing applications has changed.
- Scholarships may not be combined with other funding provided by ABHMS; however, Ph.D. and D.Min students awarded via LABS or IBS remain eligible for CE grants.
Note: Specialized scholarships may have more criteria.
ABHMS Student Scholarship
For American Baptist undergraduate, graduate, and seminarian students enrolled at accredited colleges, universities, and seminaries.
To be considered for any American Baptist Home Mission Societies Scholarship, students must meet the following requirements:
- Hold active membership in an American Baptist church;
- Be enrolled at an accredited college/university or graduate program in the United States or Puerto Rico;
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.75;
- Reside in the United States or Puerto Rico; and
- Provide a reference completed by the pastor of the church.
Latin-American Baptist Seminary Scholarships (LABS)
Grants of $500-$3,000 for American Baptist students of Latinx and Hispanic origin and presently serving or will be serving in a church with American Baptist Churches USA or with its recognized institutions.
- Endorsement forms:
- Completed by the pastor of the church.
- Completed by a regional or denominational leader.
- The applicant must demonstrate the following:
- The need for scholarship assistance to cover educational and related personal expenses and
- The intent and possibility for completion of the course of study.
- The course of study must be pursued at an accredited institution listed in the Higher Education Directory or the Membership List of the Association of Theological Schools unless otherwise approved by the Board.
- The student must be committed to continuing their education to complete one of the following degrees:
- D.Min.; or
Note: This scholarship was formerly known as the Spanish-American Baptist Seminary Scholarship (SABS).
International Baptist Seminary Scholarships (IBS)
A one-time grant of $1,000 is available for American Baptist students whose first language is not English and who are preparing for ministry in the United States or Puerto Rico.
- Two endorsements for the potential of this ministry. Acceptable recommenders include an American Baptist pastor, area minister, denominational leader, and/or institution personnel.
- Enrollment in accredited program in the United States or Puerto Rico.
The applicant must demonstrate:
- The need for scholarship assistance to cover educational and related personal expenses.
- Demonstrated progress toward the course of study.
The course of study must meet the following requirements:
- An accredited institution listed in the Higher Education Directory or the Membership List of the Association of Theological Schools, unless otherwise approved by the Board.
- Lead to a degree or certification appropriate to or required by the chosen Christian ministry (M.A., M.T.S., M.Div., D.Min., Ph.D.) or other seminary degree.
Ellen Cushing Scholarship (non-seminarian, Master's degree)
The alumni of Cushing College provide scholarships to female graduate students preparing for a human services career in the secular world.
This is a non-seminarian scholarship.
Note: M.Div. and D.Min. students are ineligible.
Continuing Education Grant
American Baptist Ministerial Leaders registered in the Professional Registry may apply for a Continuing Education Grant to be used for conferences, events, courses, and D.Min. and Ph.D. studies.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to apply for an ABHMS scholarship?
American Baptist students who reside in the United States or Puerto Rico enrolled at an accredited college/university or graduate program in the United States or Puerto Rico with a minimum GPA of 2.75.
Note: We do not offer scholarships for international students.
When will I be notified if I received a scholarship?
Scholarship recipients will be notified of their award via email before June 2023. Please check your inbox, junk, spam, and trash folders before contacting us about the status of your application.
Three times per year, our Continuing Education Grant Recipients will be notified of their award. More information can be found here.
How is the money disbursed?
Scholarship funds are sent directly to your school for disbursement to your account. If you transfer schools or graduate early, it is your responsibility to notify the ABHMS Scholarships Program. Failure to notify the Scholarships Program of such changes may result in loss of scholarship. Funds are typically disbursed in mid-August for the fall semester and mid-February for the spring semester.
How often can I receive an ABHMS scholarship?
Recipients may receive scholarship funds for up to 6 years (consecutive or non-consecutive), regardless of enrollment status (part-time or full-time) for any one course of study.
Who can I contact for assistance?
For general scholarship-related inquiries, please contact our scholarship office at 610.768.2067 or Scholarships@abhms.org. Emails will receive the fastest response, as our dedicated team is readily available online to assist you!
How can I extend this scholarship ministry?
ABHMS invites individuals, churches and organizations to contribute to the principal of the American Baptist Scholarship Fund, which provides the major source of income for the American Baptist Home Mission Societies Scholarship Program. Gifts, made payable to the American Baptist Scholarship Fund, can be made online or mailed to:
American Baptist Home Mission Societies
1075 First Ave.
King of Prussia, PA 19406
For information about bequests and charitable annuities, please contact the American Baptist Foundation at 800-ABC-3USA, x2393. A region foundation representative will be pleased to discuss options with you.