Intercultural Leadership Institute
American Baptist Home Mission Societies’ Intercultural Ministries recognizes that the future of the church in the US and Puerto Rico requires leaders with the ability to engage and serve in multicultural settings as one of the most critical elements needed in their toolbox training. The Intercultural Leadership Institute provides the biblical and theological foundation, trains and equips leaders from the United States and Puerto Rico and creates spaces for education, cultural competency, experiential learning, and an opportunity to live out the practice.
Upon completion of the program, participants will:
- Be able to understand and articulate the biblical and theological foundation for Intercultural Ministries.
- Be able to read and interpret the biblical text from a cross-cultural perspective.
- Discover and value each others’ commonalities and differences.
- Learn to be comfortable with each other and openly share experiences.
- Have confidence that ABHMS/ICT is always willing and ready to partner with you across the United States and Puerto Rico.
- Become a strong network of culturally competent leaders that promotes justice for all people and communities with respect and humility.
- Integrate the experiences and learnings in your leadership style.
To be eligible, an applicant should be the following:
- Active in church or community;
- Actively seeking and embracing intercultural engagement; and
- Interested in multicultural experiences.
Information about the 2022 Intercultural Leadership Institute is coming soon!
Miguel De La Torre reframes theology through the eyes of people of color during ABHMS’ Intercultural Leadership Institute
“Rejecting Eurocentric Christianity” was the topic when the Rev. Dr. Miguel A. De La Torre, professor of Social Ethics and Latinx Studies at the Iliff School of Theology, Denver, Colo., presented in November during ABHMS’ 2021-2022 Intercultural Leadership Institute. Read more.