Rev. Dr. Patricia Murphy
American Baptist Home Mission Societies
P.O. Box 851
Valley Forge, Pa. 19482-0851
Work Phone: 800.222.3872, x2050
email: [email protected]
Having served as a healthcare chaplain for the past 10 years, the Rev. Dr. Patricia Murphy is made for the role of American Baptist Home Mission Societies’ associate director of Chaplaincy and Specialized Ministries.
“Healthcare chaplain is a ministry that was not so popular when I began. But it is, indeed, a ministry that impacts, comforts, changes, cultivates and nurtures the hearts and minds of people during challenging and complex times in their lives,” she says. “As associate director of Chaplaincy and Specialized Ministries, I am looking forward to extending an arm of mentorship and leadership to those who embrace a ministry that is not popular but that is a necessary component of holistic healing in a divided world.”
Murphy says that her previous roles as pastoral theologian, bio-medical ethicist, chaplain, preacher and teacher were inspired by the inquisitive nature with which she was born. These days, she stresses her willingness to live out Isaiah 6:8: “Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, ‘Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?’ And I said, ‘Here am I; send me!’”
“As a little girl, I was always inquisitive. I do believe that I was born with an inner zeal for wanting to know ‘why,’” she says. “Now that I am a bit more seasoned, I have moved away from the “why” to the concept of “where.” Wherever God needs me, I will go. I have been charged to go out into the world and empower and encourage others.”
In her free time, Murphy likes to read, listen to music, watch films and attend theater productions and concerts. She revels in all types of travel—especially cruises. In addition to spending time with friends and family, she loves spending time with people in general.
She says: “I enjoy engaging people and listening to their stories.”
- Post-graduate Montefiore-Einstein Certificate, Bioethics and Medical Humanities, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Yeshiva University, New York City
- D.Min., Wesley Theological Seminary, Washington, D.C.
- M.Div., New York Theological Seminary, New York City
- 4 units, Clinical Pastoral Education, Carolinas HealthCare System, Charlotte, N.C.
- B.S., Management, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, N.J.
- A.A.S., Business Administration, Essex County College, N.J.
- Certificate, Broadcasting and TV, Connecticut School of Broadcasting, Hasbrouck Heights, N.J.
- Palliative Care and Protestant chaplain, NYC Health + Hospitals/Coney Island, Brooklyn
- Bio-medical ethicist, bereavement coordinator and interim Co-labor Relations chair, NYC Health + Hospitals
- Adjunct professor, Theology, New York Theological Seminary, New York City
- Associate pastor, youth and young adults
- Motivational speaker and workshop facilitator
- Carolinas Health Care System
- Proskauer Rose, L.L.P.
- American Baptist ordination: 2014
- Local ordination: 2007
- Birthday: May 16
HOME MISSION HIGHLIGHT:
- I seek to connect with chaplains and those engaged in specialized ministry among American Baptist churches and affiliates to encourage them to become endorsed and to serve with excellence.