Michaele D. Birdsall, CPA
American Baptist Home Mission Societies
Work Phone: 800.222.3872, x2368
Michaele Birdsall has worked in both corporate and ministry settings, but ministry holds a special place in her heart: “I have a deep love for ministry and seeing others transformed by the love of God,” she says.
With that sort of passion, it’s no wonder Birdsall sees her role as more than financial. “The CFO’s role is holistic,” she says. “The CFO has to look at the overall health of the organization. If the health of the organization is good, the finances will follow.”
Birdsall sees one of her primary roles in supporting ministry as building and sustaining donor confidence. “Donors who are confident that their gifts will be managed responsibly and ethically are much more inclined to give regularly and liberally,” she says.
Birdsall’s mission is to sustain a foundation of integrity for American Baptist Home Mission Societies (ABHMS) and to communicate the story of home mission in America and Puerto Rico, in order to inspire people to get involved in a number of ways, including financially.
To deepen her capacity to support the broader health of ABHMS, Birdsall completed a master’s degree in organizational development from American University in 2013. She consistently provides internal and external consultation to senior leaders in the areas of strategic planning, organizational change, transition management, and diversity management.
Central to Birdsall’s consulting approach is the design and implementation of stakeholder interactions that deepen accountability and commitment through meaningful engagement and dialogue.
Keeping a finger on the financial and organizational pulse of ABHMS is a full-time job. However, Birdsall finds time to unwind by walking, bike-riding, listening to her favorite music, playing the piano and spending time with her three adult children and four grandchildren.
- M.S., Organizational Development, American University, Washington, D.C.
- B.S., Accounting with honors, Rutgers University, Camden, N.J.
- Treasurer, International Ministries, March 2004-December 2006
- Assistant Treasurer, Office of the General Secretary, April 1998-February 2004
- Auditor, Arthur Andersen LLP, September 1996-March 1998
- May 1996, graduated with B.S. degree, Accounting, Rutgers University
- April 2000, received New Jersey Certified Public Accountant license
- January 2007, named Treasurer and Chief Financial Officer-Elect, ABHMS
- May 2013, graduated with M.S. degree, Organizational Development, American University, Washington, D.C.
- July 2013, appointed to additional role of Deputy Executive Director