Dr. Jeffrey Haggray
Executive Director, American Baptist Home Mission Societies
and Judson Press
P.O. Box 851
Valley Forge, Pa. 19482-0851
Work Phone: 800.222.3872, x2400
email: [email protected]
Dr. Jeffrey Haggray serves as executive director of American Baptist Home Mission Societies and Judson Press. At the heart of Haggray’s ministry lie his passions for motivating Christians to impact communities with their deeply-held faith; encouraging emerging leaders to discern and respond to God’s call; and emphasizing God’s loving concern for humanity’s well-being, wholeness and justice. Haggray works closely with diverse national and regional partners to provide a clear vision of the Christian mission in today’s world, to cultivate relationships and to develop resources for transformational ministry with congregations, communities and regions across the United States and Puerto Rico.
Having served congregations in New Jersey; Washington, D.C.; and Georgia, Haggray understands the day-to-day needs of local congregations involved in disciple-making, worship, leadership development, evangelism and mission engagement. As a regional executive minister in the Washington, D.C., Metropolitan Region for eight years, Haggray learned that, when congregations and institutions can access the human and material resources they need to transform their communities, there is no limit to the impact they are able to make.
“When a compelling mission-driven vision is coupled with faith in God and a strong determination to succeed, the required resources often follow,” he says. “The United States of America is a strategic mission field for proclaiming the Christian gospel, developing Christian disciples, promoting justice, and collaborating and networking for ministry. As we impact America for Christ, we impact the world, and I am motivated by that prospect.”
Haggray enjoys quality time with family and friends, reading, bicycling and traveling. His mission and ministry passport includes stamps from Canada, Chile, the Czech Republic, Egypt, Gambia, Germany, Israel, Jamaica, Malaysia, Myanmar (formerly Burma), Senegal, Thailand and Turkey.
Haggray is married to Shelby Martin Haggray, also an ordained American Baptist minister. They reside in Atlanta, Ga., with their three children, Geoffrey Micah, Greggory Martin and Sophia Sebiya.
EDUCATION & HONORS:
- D.Min., Wesley Theological Seminary, Washington, D.C.
- D.D. (Honoris Causa), Alderson Broaddus College, Philippi, W.Va.
- M.Div., Yale Divinity School, New Haven, Conn.
- B.A., University of Virginia, Charlottesville
- James F. Jenkins Pillar of Faith Award for outstanding contributions in the spiritual community of Greater Washington, D.C.
- Certificate, Black Church Economic Development, Harvard Divinity School, Cambridge, Mass.
- Certificate, Church Administration and Management, Interdenominational Theological Center, Atlanta
- Certificate, Clergy and Church Administration and Taxes Seminar, Congress of National Black Churches, Washington, D.C.
- Certificate, Counselor Training Institute, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, N.J.
- Graduate, Charter Class, Lead Atlantic City (N.J.) Tomorrow leadership development program
- Executive Director/Minister, District of Columbia Baptist Convention
- Senior Pastor, First Baptist Church of the City of Washington, D.C.
- Senior Pastor, Pennsylvania Avenue Baptist Church, Washington, D.C.
- Called as executive director of ABHMS: Nov. 2015
- Ordination: May 1988
- Birthday: Aug. 24