Dr. Jeffrey Haggray
Executive Director, American Baptist Home Mission Societies
and Judson Press
P.O. Box 851
Valley Forge, Pa. 19482-0851
Work Phone: 800.222.3872, x2400
email: [email protected]
At the heart of Dr. Jeffrey Haggray’s ministry lies his passion for developing and implementing creative strategies that express God’s love and God’s concern for all people. That passion drives his leadership at American Baptist Home Mission Societies (ABHMS), as he works with national and regional American Baptist-related organizations—along with other diverse partners—to provide a clear vision of mission, cultivate relationships and develop resources for transformational ministry with congregations, communities and regions across the United States and Puerto Rico.
Twenty years of experience pastoring American Baptist congregations, along with close to a decade leading a region of American Baptist Churches USA (ABCUSA), provides Haggray with a broad perspective about ministry at the national level.
As a senior pastor serving congregations in New Jersey, Washington, D.C., and Georgia, he came to understand the day-to-day needs of local congregations involved in disciple-making, worship, leadership development, evangelism and mission engagement. As a regional executive minister, Haggray learned that ministry at the “macro” level is most productive when its constituent congregations and institutions can access the human and material resources they need to transform their communities.
“When a compelling mission-driven vision is coupled with faith and a strong determination to succeed,” he says, “the required resources often follow.”
Even as his ministry has expanded to more national settings, Haggray has remained committed to the local church. During his tenure as executive minister of the District of Columbia Baptist Convention, the organization shifted its focus from region-driven and region-centered initiatives to congregation-driven and community-centered, resulting in increased enthusiasm and engagement among member congregations.
Haggray is committed to strengthening ABCUSA as a foremost Christian movement that empowers congregations, develops disciples and transformational leaders, and promotes a gospel of reconciliation, unconditional love, mercy and justice. At ABHMS, that commitment translates, in part, to his goal of ensuring that staff members continue to provide the highest quality support to congregations, regions and institutional partners to advance God’s mission.
“The United States of America is a strategic mission field for proclaiming the Christian gospel, developing Christian disciples, promoting justice, and collaborating and networking for ministry,” Haggray says. “As we impact America for Christ, we impact the world, and I am motivated by that prospect. As American Baptists develop effective strategies, resources and leaders for discipleship, evangelism, mission engagement, community-building and justice-making here in America, we also strengthen the Christian witness globally.”
Haggray enjoys reading, bicycling and traveling in his leisure time. His passport includes stamps from Canada, Chile, the Czech Republic, Egypt, Gambia, Germany, Israel, Jamaica, Malaysia, Myanmar (formerly Burma), Senegal, Thailand and Turkey—although some of these destinations were related to speaking and mission visits rather than leisure. Nevertheless, each of them provided an opportunity for another of Haggray’s leisure activities—prayer walking for sensing the variety of forms in which God’s presence is felt in different communities and seeing the possibilities for Christian witness and service.
Haggray is married to the Rev. Shelby Martin Haggray, also an ordained American Baptist minister. The couple has three children.
EDUCATION & HONORS:
- D.Min., Wesley Theological Seminary, Washington, D.C.
- D.D. (Honoris Causa), Alderson Broaddus College, Philippi, W.Va.
- M.Div., Yale Divinity School, New Haven, Conn.
- B.A., University of Virginia, Charlottesville
- James F. Jenkins Pillar of Faith Award for outstanding contributions in the spiritual community of Greater Washington, D.C.
- Certificate, Black Church Economic Development, Harvard Divinity School, Cambridge, Mass.
- Certificate, Church Administration and Management, Interdenominational Theological Center, Atlanta
- Certificate, Clergy and Church Administration and Taxes Seminar, Congress of National Black Churches, Washington, D.C.
- Certificate, Counselor Training Institute, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, N.J.
- Graduate, Charter Class, Lead Atlantic City (N.J.) Tomorrow leadership development program
- Executive Director/Minister, District of Columbia Baptist Convention
- Senior Pastor, First Baptist Church of the City of Washington, D.C.
- Senior Pastor, Pennsylvania Avenue Baptist Church, Washington, D.C.
- Called as executive director of ABHMS: Nov. 2015
- Ordination: May 1988
- Birthday: Aug. 24