America for Christ Offering
Consider making a generous gift!
Dear Mission Partner,
With Hope and Grace,
Dr. Jeffrey Haggray
Executive Director, ABHMS
A Biblical Reflection: They Gave Themselves to God and to Us
And they exceeded our expectations: They gavethemselves first of all to the Lord, and then by thewill of God also to us.– 2 CORINTHIANS 8:5 (NIV)
For individual images, click the image above and when the full resolution version loads, right-click and select “Save Image to.”
Promoting the America for Christ Offering 2019 in Your Church
- Gather a team or taskforce for the America for Christ (AFC) 2019 home mission offering.
- Determine a three-month schedule for promotions.
- Review the enclosed materials. Then visit abhms.org, click “Learn More” in the America for Christ box, and then click “Resources” to access all AFC videos and downloadable resources. If you need more printed materials, please call 1.888.792.2467, x2028, to speak with the office of Mission Advancement.
- Set a goal to assist American Baptist Home Mission Societies in raising $1,200,000 that supports home mission throughout the United States and Puerto Rico. Use the enclosed goal chart and place in a prominent, high-traffic location that will encourage giving. Gather an AFC offering prayer team and meet once weekly before worship for five minutes of prayer.
- Meet with the pastor and/or church’s leadership team to share the promotions schedule.
- Incorporate “Mission Moments” into worship. Each Sunday for a month, take three to five minutes during worship to present a Mission Moment. The updates can include showing the AFC video, reading an insert or allowing testimony from individuals who have volunteered for a home mission team or participated in any other kind of training or workshop.
- Invite a home mission staff member as a speaker to your church. Please complete the speaker-request form included in the AFC packet, visit the website and download the form, or call the Mission Advancement office at 1.888.792.2467, x2028.
- Involve the children and youth during a Mission Moment. Ask the children and youth to help pick up the offering during worship and distribute AFC bulletin inserts. Whi le inserts can be included in the bulletin, you may, instead, want to highlight them during the Mission Moment, allowing the youth to distribute them to the congregation. Coin boxes previously placed at the front of the church should be picked up immediately following the Mission Moment.
- Have fun. Design an AFC Offering 2019 bulletin board. Include materials from the offering packet. Allow the children and youth to add to the board additional art that conveys ideas from the “Healing Communities” theme.
- Record and celebrate your progress. Use a Sunday in March to hold a celebration and to THANK the congregation for their generous support and for meeting the goal!
- Complete the AFC evaluation form and return it to American Baptist Home Mission Societies.
- “Rebuilding, Restoring, Renewing Puerto Rico” — rebuilding the island one church and one building at a time.
- Scholarships and Emerging Leaders — providing scholarships to students to help ease the debilitating effects of excessive student-loan debt.
- Immigration and Refugee Resettlement — partnering with organizations that have resettled more than 100,000 displaced persons from across the world.
- Rizpah’s Children — partnering with agencies that provide support to children living in poverty.
- 59% supports the ministries of ABHMS;
- 12% supports the offering’s promotional and deputation costs; and
- 29% supports regional ministries (ABHMS is the only mission board to share its offering with American Baptist Churches USA regions).
- Leda Carter, Administrative Assistant, 610.768.2028
- Vincent W. Dent Sr., Chief Development Officer, 610-768-2420
- America for Christ 2019 English leaders guide / Spanish leaders guide
- America for Christ poster, item #AF191
- America for Christ English mini-poster / Spanish mini-poster
- Bulletin inserts English set of four, item #AF193 / Spanish set of four, item #AF193S
- Offering envelopes, item #AF194
- Sample congregational letter English / Spanish
- Help Your Neighbor children’s activity English / Spanish
- Coin boxes (bilingual—English and Spanish), item #AF195
- Evaluation form, item #AF196, is included in your America for Christ packet. Your comments are taken seriously as we plan for succeeding years. Feedback is appreciated!
- Goal chart, item #AF198
- AFC 2019 Songsheet: Walk Like Jesus, Talk Like Jesus
- Request a speaker to visit your congregation or community.
You can connect with ABHMS’ Mission Advancement office by contacting:
Leda Carter, Administrative Assistant, 610.768.2028
Vincent W. Dent Sr., Chief Development Officer, 610-768-2420