Rebuilding, Restoring, Renewing Puerto Rico
In response to the devastating one-two punch leveled at Puerto Rico first by Hurricane Irma and most recently by Hurricane Maria, American Baptist Home Mission Societies (ABHMS), in partnership with American Baptist Churches USA (ABCUSA), will launch a multi-year initiative, “Rebuilding, Restoring, Renewing Puerto Rico,” Executive Director Dr. Jeffrey Haggray announced today.
“Rebuilding, Restoring, Renewing Puerto Rico” seeks to raise $1 million within the next three to six months through One Great Hour of Sharing (OGHS) to support rebuilding the homes, churches and lives of our brothers and sister in Christ. ABHMS has pledged $25,000 to launch this major renewal effort, matching OGHS funds already earmarked for Puerto Rico recovery.
“Within the next three to five years,” Haggray said, “we will work with our American Baptist partners to restore all 114 churches and nine missions in the Iglesias Bautistas de Puerto Rico as well as Corporacion Milagros del Amor and Seminario Evangélico de Puerto Rico.”
News & Updates
- Rebuilding, Restoring, Renewing Puerto Rico
- en español: Reconstruyamos. Restauremos. Renovemos Puerto Rico
- In the wake of Maria’s sound and fury
- On the road to healing Puerto Rico’s people
- ABHMS’ Spanish-language video addresses needs in Puerto Rico
- en español: Video de ABHMS en español enfoca las necesidades de Puerto Rico
- ABHMS continues to support restoration of Puerto Rico with funds, supplies, visits
- ABHMS staff visit Puerto Rico, plan for Phase II of recovery effort
- en español: Visita a Puerto Rico del personal de ABHMS, plan para Fase II de esfuerzos de recuperación
- Join ABHMS in spreading joy to the children of Puerto Rico this holiday season
- ABHMS continues to support Puerto Rico with transfer of additional OGHS funds
Donations may be made via your church; via credit card online at abhms.org > GIVE NOW; or if making a donation by check please make checks payable to American Baptist Home Mission Societies and on the memo line place: OGHS – PR and send to
Attn: Kim Wilkins
Puerto Rico Rebuild
P.O. Box 851
Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851
One hundred percent of donations go to relief efforts; no dollars are retained for administrative costs. To ensure that your church receives credit for your gift, write the church name on your check or, if giving online, in the “comment” box.
Sign up for updates as they develop about recovery plans, ways you can help and volunteer mission opportunities.
Litanies, and other church resources written by ABHMS staff and submitted by American Baptists, are available free of charge.
In the video above from a fall 2017 visit to Puerto Rico, ABHMS Executive Director Dr. Jeffrey Haggray discusses the island’s needs.
In the video above, Laura Ayala, pastor of First Baptist Church of Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico, speaks to the devastation, infrastructure challenges and scarcity of desperately needed resources as a result of the impact of Hurricane Maria.
In the video above, the Rev. Salvador Orellana, ABHMS national coordinator of Latino Ministries and deputy director of logistics and relationships for ABHMS’ “Rebuilding, Restoring, Renewing Puerto Rico” multi-year initiative, discusses the ways in which American Baptist individuals and churches can help Puerto Rico recover in the aftermath of hurricanes Irma and Maria. In addition, he shares details about the destruction and challenges he witnessed firsthand on a visit to the island after the storms.