Rev. Jamaal Nelson
American Baptist Home Mission Societies
P.O. Box 851
Valley Forge, Pa. 19482-0851
Work Phone: 800.222.3872, x2491
As an individual who loves coaching, developing and supporting pastors in their pursuit of ministerial excellence, the Rev. Jamaal Nelson is well-suited to his role as director of American Baptist Home Mission Societies’ “In Support of Excellence” program.
“I am deeply invested in this work because I believe that faith-based leadership can change the world for the better,” Nelson says.
Its pilot launched in late 2016, “In Support of Excellence” is a Lilly Endowment-supported financial-literacy program that seeks to equip American Baptist pastors and lay leaders with the knowledge, skills and tangible resources to help ameliorate financial burdens and catalyze emerging leaders to drive transformative impact in churches and communities. The program offers financial-management best practices, leadership coaching, self-care strategies, targeted relief from economic distress and seed funds to incubate new ministry models.
“I hope to equip and inspire the next generation of pastoral leaders in their pursuit of ministerial excellence,” he says.
Nelson has five years of experience as a church planter and more than 10 years of experience as a nonprofit executive, managing large teams and multimillion-dollar budgets.
In his free time, he enjoys watching movies and spending time with his family and young children.
- M.Div., Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
- B.S., Vanderbilt University, Nashville
- Vice president, Regional Impact, Leadership for Educational Equity, Washington, D.C.
- Vice president, Policy and Advocacy, The Expectations Project, Washington, D.C.
- Field director, various political campaigns
- Birthday: Aug. 10
- Ordained: 2003
HOME MISSION HIGHLIGHT:
- Pastors and lay leaders interested in “In Support of Excellence” can view details online.