Rev. Glynis LaBarre
American Baptist Home Mission Societies
Work Phone: 800.222.3872, x2412
“I believe many churches have the potential to become vital in their ministry context. They need tools and encouragement to see their potential and to make necessary adjustments to achieve it,” says the Rev. Glynis LaBarre, transformation strategist.
LaBarre is most excited about catching a big picture of the future and working with ministers. “These leaders are amazingly talented, trained and called to help churches realize their ministry potential,” she says.
Through her work, LaBarre hopes that over time she can make a difference for American Baptist churches in retooling for future ministry and ensuring that they receive help.
In her local church ministry, LaBarre was responsible for a turnaround at Delmar Baptist Church, St. Louis, Mo., a historic church that built a new worship center, doubled in attendance and re-established Sunday school for all ages.
She also initiated transformation at Hope American Baptist Church, Phoenix, Ariz., moving it from a self-contained church to one with missional goals. The church’s ministry extended to sustaining church plants among Romanians, Hispanics, African-Americans and Anglo-Americans.
Additionally, LaBarre developed a ministry training program for Native Americans at All Tribes Community Church, Tulsa, Okla., which resulted in 11 tribal elders becoming licensed ministers.
When not working, LaBarre enjoys gardening with her husband and playing with her dogs.
- M.Div., Central Baptist Theological Seminary, Kansas City, Kan.
- B.A., Healthcare Administration, Elmhurst College, Chicago
- Church restart, Delmar Baptist
- Transformation to multicultural ministry, Hope American Baptist Church
- Developed church lay minister training program, All Tribes Community Church
- Designed process for churches participating in the Missional Church Learning Experience (MCLE)
- Certified as a ministry coach by Valwood Christian Leadership Coaching
- Transformation strategist, ABHMS, 2005-present
- Senior pastor, Disciples of Christ Church, Owasso, Okla., 2002-2004
- Interim pastor, All Tribes American Baptist Church, 2002-2004
- Senior pastor, Hope American Baptist Church, 1999-2001
- Senior pastor, Delmar Baptist, 1995-1999
- Ordained: Aug. 17, 1996
- Birthday: May 16
HOME MISSION HIGHLIGHTS:
- Administered by ABHMS in 2006, 2008, 2010 and 2012, the Frank E. Clark Charitable Trust assists small American Baptist congregations in becoming healthier and more vibrant, enabling greater ability to impact their surrounding communities.
- MCLE introduces churches to the missional movement through practical, hands-on learning of healthy, repeatable community involvement patterns. To date, more than 30 MCLE learning communities have been formed in 15 American Baptist regions, involving more than 1,100 Christian leaders from more than 220 churches in more than 150 community engagements.