Rev. Florence Li
|American Baptist Home Mission Societies
P.O. Box 851
Valley Forge, Pa. 19482-0851
Work Phone: 800.222.3872, x2468
Over time, a vision to serve God and communities grew in Rev. Florence Li’s heart and mind. “American Baptist Churches USA is such a diverse denomination,” says Li, national coordinator for Intercultural Ministries, Asian churches strategist. “But we are all one people under God, seeking to serve Christ and each other. I feel called to serve in our diverse cultures, particularly within Asian ministries.”
In her current role, Li works with the Intercultural Ministries Team to strengthen Asian church ministries, empower leadership and build relationships with the larger American Baptist family. She provides resources to pastors of Asian churches and brings them together through conferences and other local, regional and denominational events.
“Pastors of many Asian churches are bi-vocational, because congregations can’t support them full time,” says Li. “These often are new churches that also need training and contextualized evangelism and outreach materials.”
Li also serves on the Discipleship/Transformation Team, identifying emerging leaders in local congregations, colleges and seminaries.
As she travels throughout the United States, Li finds people who are very excited about the denomination’s support of ministry at the local level. “As national staff, I want to listen to concerns and lend support to pastors of churches,” she explains. “All of our conferences and activities come back to looking at the vision: serving Christ.”
Born in Hong Kong, Li has lived in the United States since 1976. She enjoys reading, quiet music and family life.
- MSW, Administration, Hunter College, New York, N.Y.
- M.Div., American Baptist Seminary of the West, Berkley, Calif.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Ottawa University, Ottawa, Kan.
- East Coast coordinator of the Asian American Baptist Caucus, American Baptist Churches USA
- Assistant executive director of Youth Services, Chinese-American Planning Council, New York, N.Y.
- Pulpit supply and member of Public Mission Committee and Nomination Committee, American Baptist Churches Metro New York
- Interim co-pastor, Elmhurst Baptist Church, New York, N.Y.
- Youth fellowship leader, Chinese Missionary Baptist Church, New York, N.Y.
- Assistant pastor, Beneficent Congregational Church, Providence, R.I.
- Volunteer, Downtown Soup Kitchen, Providence, R.I.
- Joined American Baptist Home Mission Societies: March 2004
- Ordained: September 1987
- Birthday: Dec. 23
HOME MISSION HIGHLIGHTS:
- Li is trained in Got Style?™, a personality style-based evangelism approach developed by American Baptist Home Mission Societies with Dr. Jeff Johnson’s leadership.
- There are currently about 125 Asian churches — representing 20 different languages and dialects — in the American Baptist Churches USA family.