Derrick G. Gilbert, MBA, CBA
American Baptist Home Mission Societies
Work Phone: 800.222.3872, x2467
As director of Technology Management at American Baptist Home Mission Societies (ABHMS), Derrick Gilbert helps to select, deploy and support the organization’s information technology (IT) equipment. Gilbert sees his primary role as providing strategic technology advice and effective IT assistance, support and coaching to ABHMS’ leadership and staff.
“Decisions organizations make influence their ability to invest in the right technology at the right time and for the right cost,” says Gilbert, a proponent of mission and outcomes-based technology planning. “I want to help ABHMS ensure the most efficient and effective use and maintenance of its technology.”
Before joining ABHMS, Gilbert was the owner and principal technology strategist of Gil Technology Group, a minority-owned, values-based information technology planning services sole proprietorship. Gilbert managed business operations and provided guidance to nonprofit and small business owners, executives and program directors in making well-informed IT solution decisions.
Before founding Gil Technology Group, Gilbert was senior technology planner/consultant and IT business analyst with BCT Partners, where he shared responsibility for developing comprehensive and strategic technology plans.
No stranger to strategic technology planning, IT solutions requirements analysis and software systems implementation, Gilbert has more than 14 years of professional experience in the government, telecommunications, human services and IT consulting industries. He also has more than four years of experience in reviewing, analyzing, evaluating and documenting user needs and requirements.
- M.B.A., Erivan K. Haub School of Business, St. Joseph’s University, Philadelphia
- Certified Business Analyst (CBA), George Washington University School of Business, Aug. 2007
- M.S., Computer Science in Computer Networks, Monmouth University, Long Branch, N.J., Jan. 2000
- B.S., Computer Science in Information Systems, Jackson State University, Jackson, Miss., May 1994
- Owner and principal technology advisor, Gil Technology Group
- Senior technology planner/consultant, BCT Partners
- Senior software engineer, Lucent Technologies
- Senior software systems engineer, The MITRE Corporation
- Associate programmer, IBM/Loral Federal Systems
- Joined ABHMS: Aug. 2010
- Birthday: Aug. 25