American Baptist Home Mission Societies
As coordinator of Chaplaincy & Specialized Ministries, Alice Mitchell-Cross works directly with the executive director and associate executive directors at American Baptist Home Mission Societies (ABHMS).
“The ‘work’ that I do is not work. It is a ministry—and one that I am ecstatic to do,” says Mitchell-Cross. “I believe that ABHMS is where God wants me to be at this time in my life. I am humbled by the opportunity to interact and support persons throughout the United States and Puerto Rico who are helping ABHMS realize its goal as ‘the caring heart, serving hands, going feet and prophetic voice of Jesus Christ.’”
Service has been part of Mitchell-Cross’ life from a young age, and serving others is simply part of her being. She counts Mark 10:45 among her favorite Scripture verses—“For the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life a ransom for many”—and the words of the late J. Hampton Keathley III among her favorite inspirational quotations: “Greatness in God’s kingdom is never to be found in position or power or in the praise and opinions of men, but in servant-like service to others.”
While growing up in the South, she observed her parents and their friends continually sharing and helping others. “I can never remember having dinner with just my mother, father and brothers,” she says. “There were always guests.”
Since age 8, she has served in such church ministries as the acquisition team, trustees, finance, facilitation and coaching. As an adult, her service has included that with the National Association of University Women; Habitat for Humanity in Mississippi, Louisiana and Pennsylvania; and Blue Bell Rotary’s coordination of the Annual Sugar Plum Christmas celebration for military families.
“My goal is to serve and get better at it,” she says.
As a child, Mitchell-Cross traveled through reading. Although she still loves to read, she now travels with her daughters and hopes to visit every American state. “I want to see as many of the natural and man-made wonders as I can,” she says.
In addition, Mitchell-Cross is an avid baker. She says: “I keep my kitchen filled with the sweet aroma of homemade cakes and pies.”
- M.B.A., Business Administration, Eastern University, St. Davids, Pa.
- B.S., Mathematics, Delta State University, Cleveland, Miss.
- DacEasy certified consultant
- Certificate, Microsoft Project 2000, project data management, project leadership and program management
- Software training, implementation and application, Power Church Windows, AMP Fusion church software, QuickBooks and Peachtree
- SAP certification, planning, configuration, organization and production
- Life Group administrator, Macedonia Baptist Church, 2011-2013
- Paraprofessional, Norristown Area School District, Extended School Children Care, 2006-2013
- Financial officer, Bethlehem Baptist Church, 2000-2008
- Manufacturing engineer and resource manager, Lockheed Martin, 1990-2005
- Manufacturing engineer and resource manager, UNISYS, 1984-1989
- Joined ABHMS staff: May 2013
- Birthday: Feb. 5